top of page
The Court is part of a group of civic buildings, which also includes the Town Hall, Brooke Robinson Museum Room and the former Magistrates’ Court and Memorial Tower.
They were designed by Harvey and Wicks, following an open competition for the new public buildings which attracted 55 entrants. The buildings were constructed between 1924 and 1928 and built adjacent to earlier municipal buildings occupying the rectangular site bounded by Priory Road, Priory Street and St James’s Road which include the Police buildings (designed in 1847 by Harvey Eginton of Worcester) and the library buildings facing onto St James’s Road (designed by G H Wenyon and opened in 1908).
Alexander Harvey came to prominence as the architect involved in the design of the Bournville village for George Cadbury in the earliest years of the 20th century. He later took on his nephew, H Graham Wicks, as a partner. The work on the Dudley civic buildings led to the award of an RIBA medal and diploma in 1934 and to a further commission to build a new Council House in Dudley on the other side of the police buildings, started in 1935.
Drag your mouse to look around 360 degrees
Click on 'circle' icon to move through rooms
Click on icon to view further information
The new Town Hall, Brooke Robinson Museum and Coroner’s Court, were built in memory of Brooke Robinson and his wife, Eugenia. Robinson was a prominent local solicitor, who had served as the borough coroner for a number of years and also as the town’s MP for four parliaments. He presented a selection of his collection of furniture and family portraits to the borough, which were housed in a museum room at first floor level above the Coroner’s Court. The central plaque on the Town Hall records the gift of the hall and the museum to the town by Brooke and Eugenia Robinson.
The Coroner's Court - Heritage Open Day Guide
Click on the image to download PDF
bottom of page