Priory House

Priory House dates from the early 19th century.  It can be seen in maps of the time and is mentioned in Pigot’s Commercial Directory as ‘a handsome building’. The building merits particular protection and is included on the National Heritage List for England, listed Grade II. 

The stuccoed three-storey building displays many classical features, typical of the late Georgian period, and has many architectural details of note, including windows with dripstones on consoles and an elaborate dentilled cornice at second floor with wreathed paterae on the frieze below.  On the ground floor two impressive Venetian windows light the rooms to either side of the main entrance, which has a convex stone porch on plain columns with channelled frieze.

 

After almost 100 years of life as a residence, Priory House became accommodation for the Dudley Junior Conservative Club.  When the claims of Priory House were considered, the fact of the beautiful and extensive grounds attached to it was an important incentive, as there was ample ground for the necessary extensions to the property and for the laying out of a bowling green and tennis courts.  The need to provide facilities to establish and encourage the social side of the club was seen as essential for the club’s success. 

The building now provides grand accommodation as offices.

VIRTUAL TOUR

Drag your mouse to look around 360 degrees

Click on 'circle' icon to move through rooms

Click on icon to view further information

DOWNLOADS

Priory House Brochure Cover
Priory House
Heritage Open Day Guide

Click on the image to download PDF
1880 inventory_Page_1.jpg
Priory House
1880 Inventory

Click on the image to download PDF